Thursday, December 9, 2010

Major Conflicts

1)        Jekyll vs. Hyde
2)      Jekyll & Hyde vs. Society
3)      Hyde vs. Society
4)      Hyde vs. Utterson/Lanyon
5)      Jekyll vs. Himself (not in the same sense as vs. Hyde)


Dr. Jekyll vs. Mr. Hyde:
The conflict between Jekyll and Hyde is a somewhat complicated and strange one. Essentially the conflict arises between the two separate sides of himself; “[Hyde] was wholly evil and the other was still the old Henry Jekyll, [an] incongruous compound of reformation and improvement” (Stevenson, 82). At first the conflict is unapparent and there is really no problem with it. However, as the acts of “Edward Hyde soon [begin] to turn toward the monstrous” Henry Jekyll [begins to feel] at times aghast before [these] acts” (Stevenson, 83). Thus a dislike of sorts begins to arise between both personalities and as through continuous use Hyde begins to grow in strength so does the conflict. “The powers of Hyde seemed to have grown with the sickliness. And certainly the hate that now divided them was equal on each side” (Stevenson, 91). The hatred between the two is stronger than ever. Jekyll regards Hyde as “of something not only Hellish but inorganic” whereas Hyde through “his terror of the gallows” is forced “to commit temporary suicide […] but loathed the necessity [of it and] of the despondency [of] Jekyll” (Stevenson, 91-92). The tables have now turned. Hyde has surpassed Jekyll in strength and the only real reason Jekyll still exists is through Hyde’s fear of being hanged for his crimes. In the end Hyde wins and the conflict is resolved. Due to impurities in ingredients the original potion cannot be recreated. Now that Hyde is dominant Jekyll cannot be brought back without the potion and this thus, “bring[s] the life of that unhappy Henry Jekyll to an end” (Stevenson, 93).

Effects on the Protagonist:
Dear Diary,
It’s getting late and I’m afraid. I can feel Hyde in the deepest part of my soul wanting to be unleashed. I have completely lost control and can only witness his massacre.


Dear Diary,
Hyde is the only thing I think about, wanting to drink my potion just to feel the power. I am now beginning to enjoy turning and over using my potion. I NEED TO MAKE MORE!!


Dear Diary,
I begin to grow weak while Hyde grows stronger. I am beginning to hate Hyde and he hates me. I need to destroy all evidence that Hyde existed before its to late!!


Dear Diary,
It’s morning now and have just returned to my normal self. Hyde has completely taken over and I do not need to take my potion to turn. Every day is a fight to keep Hyde hidden from the world but I soon feel Hyde will take over forever. I need to be rid of this.


 
Hyde vs. Society: The conflict between Hyde and society is a simple one. “Edward Hyde, alone in the ranks of mankind, was pure evil” thus the general population views him with a blatant dislike and “none [can] come near [him] without [some] visible misgiving[s] of the flesh” (Stevenson, pg81). Essentially, Hyde cannot converse with any individual without creating in them some feeling of hatred towards him self. Therefore Mr. Hyde must perpetually be fearful for his life, lest an individual cannot control their feelings and would lash out at him. However, this sense of malformation which Hyde is viewed with due to his unnaturally just evil soul is also cause with a second conflict with which he has with society. Mr. Hyde with no conscience to hold him back “[breaks] out of all bounds and club[s] [Sir Danvers Carew] to the earth” thus committing murder and in turn forfeiting his life to the law. In this Mr. Hyde now becomes a hunted criminal whom is no longer hated but despised by a society determined to rid them selves of him and bring him to justice.      The conflict between Jekyll and Hyde is a somewhat complicated and strange one. Essentially the conflict arises between the two separate sides of himself; “[Hyde] was wholly evil and the other was still the old Henry Jekyll, [an] incongruous compound of reformation and improvement” (Stevenson, 82). At first the conflict is unapparent and there is really no problem with it. However, as the acts of “Edward Hyde soon [begin] to turn toward the monstrous” Henry Jekyll [begins to feel] at times aghast before [these] acts” (Stevenson, 83). Thus a dislike of sorts begins to arise between both personalities and as through continuous use Hyde begins to grow in strength so does the conflict. “The powers of Hyde seemed to have grown with the sickliness. And certainly the hate that now divided them was equal on each side” (Stevenson, 91). The hatred between the two is stronger than ever. Jekyll regards Hyde as “of something not only Hellish but inorganic” whereas Hyde through “his terror of the gallows” is forced “to commit temporary suicide […] but loathed the necessity [of it and] of the despondency [of] Jekyll” (Stevenson, 91-92). The tables have now turned. Hyde has surpassed Jekyll in strength and the only real reason Jekyll still exists is through Hyde’s fear of being hanged for his crimes. In the end Hyde wins and the conflict is resolved. Due to impurities in ingredients the original potion cannot be recreated. Now that Hyde is dominant Jekyll cannot be brought back without the potion and this thus, “bring[s] the life of that unhappy Henry Jekyll to an end” (Stevenson, 93). 


How the conflict affects the Protagonist
Dear Dairy,
When my other self Edward Hyde “mauled the unresisting body, tasting delight in every blow” and becoming a wanted criminal, I fear what I must do to deal with the dreadful situation Hyde has presented us (87). 
The hideous murder has left me “with streaming tears of […] remorse” and yet although the terrible crime left me shaken, I knew it was a way out “I was now confined to the better part of my existence” (87). I could no longer become Hyde because of his criminal status.
Dear Diary,
The next day when my close friend Mr. Utterson, demands to know about Hyde, yet I cannot give up my secret as it is now more dangerous than ever. So instead I tell “I swear to god I will never set eyes on him again. I bind my honour to you that I am done with him in this world” (50).








Dr. Jekyll vs. Himself:
Dr Jekyll is not only facing his evil self Hyde but is also facing his own addiction to his less developed self. As Dr. Jekyll used his potion he slowly began to feel that “between these two [identities], I [Jekyll] felt I now had to choose”, Jekyll felt that both of his personalities were now separate and that he could no longer be both (87).  Jekyll felt that to stay as Jekyll still meant embracing both personalities, as “Jekyll (who is composite) now with the most of sensitive apprehensions, now with greedy gusto, projected and shared in the pleasures and adventures Hyde”,  Jekyll felt  that his normal self had changed greatly to the activities of Hyde (85). Jekyll also new and fear the terrible deeds of Hyde but new that “while Jekyll would suffer smartly in the fires of abstinence, Hyde would be not even conscious of all that he had lost”, Dr Jekyll is considering both side of his personality, yet he is leading himself towards the path of Hyde (86).  Dr Jekyll is addicted to the activities of Hyde although Jekyll tries to break his addiction to his other self in the end of the story Jekyll reverts back to Hyde. 
Effects of this conflict on the protagonist:
Dear Diary,
I fear I have not realized the darkness of my situation. I no longer see this strange relationship with Hyde as beneficial. I have decided to give up this perverted reality and have banished Hyde back to the deepest part of my soul.

Dear Diary,
“I chose the better part [of myself] and was found wanting in the strength to keep it” (Stevenson, 86). As I mentioned in my previous entry I decided to give up the form of Hyde and instead have opted for “the elderly and discontented doctor” that is Jekyll (Stevenson, 86). However, I fear I was not resolute in absolution. I “neither sold the house in Soho, nor destroyed the clothes of Edward Hyde” (Stevenson, 86). Thus, for “two months I was true to my determination” (Stevenson, 86). However, I am sorry to say I have begun to long for Hyde once again. I am afraid I will be not be able to resist his temptations much longer.

Dear Diary,
A veil of darkness has descended. “in an hour of moral weakness, I once again compounded and swallowed the transforming draught” (Stevenson, 86). Hyde was filled with a furious fury of which I have never felt before. The darker part of myself “had been long caged [and] came out roaring” (Stevenson, 86). It sickens me to recount the events that occurred next. Hyde…I murdered Sir Danvers Carew.

Dear Diary,
The murder though dreadful has presented me with a permanent escape from this mess. Hyde has forfeited his life and dare not show his face again. I dare not dream of resuscitating Hyde “the bare idea of [it] startles me to frenzy” (Stevenson, 88).

Dear Diary,
I am more ashamed of myself now than ever before. No longer do I have control over my being…my soul. Sometimes I wonder whether or not Hyde really is the evil part of me… The horror which I experienced after the murder had faded. I foolishly began to think once more of the temptations of Hyde and that was the final nail in the coffin. “The fall seemed natural” (Stevenson, 88). I no longer need the potion to be Hyde, I am Hyde. No more is my soul inherently good. Now I must drink the concoction just to take the form of Jekyll for a few hours. Perhaps, if I make enough potion and continue to drink it Jekyll will once again gain strength and Hyde will, once more be imprisoned.

Dear Diary,
It’s all over. I can no longer manufacture the concoction. I have ransacked every chemist and warehouse of London for the special salt needed. None work. It would appear my original batch was impure. My days are numbered. Soon there will be no potion left and I will remain Hyde. My biggest shame is the weak restraint I posses. If I had not succumbed to temptation none of this would have happened. No matter. Jekyll is as good as dead. Hyde will soon join him, whether by the noose or his own hand. It will all be over soon.  

Jekyll and Hyde vs. Society:
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde both share a conflict vs. society. As can be imagined this stems from the nature Dr. Jekyll’s experiments and Hyde’s existence. Though the nineteenth century was a turning point for science and discovery’s, such an experiment would have shocked and possibly outraged society. Lanyon himself, once a close fiend and colleague of Jekyll, when finally witnessing the experiment, viewed the proceedings with horror, “[his] life shaken to the roots’ and “[his] soul sickened” (Stevenson, 77). Thus secrecy was of the utmost importance, not even Mr. Utterson whom Jekyll “trusts before any man alive” is privy to the dark goings on. The conflict itself only gets worse after Hyde murders Sir Danvers Carew. Hyde is wanted for murder and if it came to light that Jekyll and Hyde are essentially one and the same neither would have safe refuge, in the form of Henry Jekyll from death at the gallows. In the end the conflict itself is not resolved until the death of Mr. Hyde and Dr. Jekyll at the end.


Effects on the Protagonists 


Dear Diary,
My alternate, Hyde, has come around in the most horrendous way that even my closest friends can not accept.My close friend Lanyon has rejected me and "wish[es] to see or hear no more of [me]" (55). I have no choice but to hide my experiments in hope of protecting myself and those around me. I fear that if knowledge of my experiments became public, that I was also committing the acts of Hyde, then i would be shunned as Hyde.Yet I also fear for my life as for the crimes which Hyde has committed and "I saw my life forfeit" (87).


Hyde vs. Utterson:
The conflict between Mr. Utterson and Mr. Hyde is an important one. Utterson throughout the novella is suspicious of and eventually goes to confront Mr. Hyde, confident he intends to murder Henry Jekyll. Utterson’s suspicions and unease towards Hyde begin through Jekyll’s will asking “that in the case of Dr. Jekyll’s disappearance or unexplained absence for any period exceeding three calendar months, the said Edward Hyde should step into the said Henry Jekyll’s shoes” (Stevenson, 37). He believes “[Hyde] mean[s] to murder [Jekyll]” in order to inherit (Stevenson, 52).  These suspicions and this conflict are very important to the plot of the story. It directs complete attention towards the strangeness of Hyde and without it the reader would never find out the strange circumstances surrounded him and Jekyll and would never find out that in fact they are the same person. This conflict is again important because it is directly between the protagonist that is Utterson and the antagonist that is Hyde. Conflict draws to a climax at the main confrontation between the two characters in which Utterson and Poole bash in the door to Jekyll’s cabinet and find Hyde dead “with a crushed phial in the hand and the strong smell of kernels [in the air]” (Stevenson, 67). At this suicide the conflict is resolved. Hyde is dead and through the letters of Lanyon and Jekyll, both Utterson and the reader learn that Henry Jekyll is also dead; “I bring the life of that unhappy Henry Jekyll to an end” (Stevenson, 93). Thus all conflicts are essentially resolved and all manner of mystery lifted.  



Effects of this on the Protagonist:
Dear Diary,
I have come to fear that Hyde has been effecting my dear friend Mr. Utterson. For some time I have been hiding this horrific secret from him and it has has been bothering me. I have no control over Hyde anymore so I feel Utterson will soon come face to face with my hideous double. For months now I have wanted to send Hyde to the deepest depts of hell so I can return and enjoy my  life. But soon I will not be able to change back to my normal self, “there were moments when I feared for my life.” And hurt the people I love. (pg.83)








No comments:

Post a Comment